- Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:30 p.m.
- Friday, December 9, 2011 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, December 10, 2011 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:30 p.m.
Justine (Kirsten Dunst) and Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) are celebrating their marriage at a sumptuous party in the home of her sister, Claire (Charlotte Gainsbourg). Meanwhile, a planet called Melancholia is heading directly toward Earth. Justine, a melancholic person by the grace of God, has a hard time finding her place in the world, but feels more at home when the world draws near its end. Claire, on the other hand, thrives in the world and consequently finds it hard to say goodbye. As in von Trier’s last film, Antichrist, Melancholia opens with an overture, followed by a sequence projecting Justine’s own visions of the wonderful end of the world. The film won Kirsten Dunst the Best Actor award at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. (35mm)