An Evening of Music in Orphan Films
- Saturday, September 28, 2013 8:30 p.m.
Admission is free for registered conference attendees. Register here.
Live musical improvisation from the bands Lylas and Garden Gates will accompany silent films and soundies selected from various archives.
The program includes:
● Anne Wells (Chicago Film Archives) Park Band (Hedman-Gray, Inc., ca. 1965) and “Close to You” by The Carpenters (David Strutzel, 1971) ● Andrea J. Kelley (IU): Hong Kong Blues (1941, Hoagy Carmichael) Indiana University Archives of Traditional Music
● Kelli Hix introduces Kincaid, on Makin’ Music (WBIR-TV, Knoxville, 1983) from Tennessee Archive of the Moving Image
and home movies of Dolly Parton, Porter Wagoner, Hank Williams, Jr., and other country music stars in Anderson, Indiana (1971)
● Lylas (Nashville, TN) providing musical accompaniment for Blanche’s Recital (Arthur H. Smith, 1977), presented by Andy Uhrich (Center for Home Movies)
● Caroline Rubens (Appalshop) George Thompson: Street Cleaner (1977)
● Liz Coffey (Harvard Film Archive) Honky Tonk Bud (Scott Laster, 1986) ● Asia Harman (IU Libraries Film Archive): Hoosier Promenade (Janet R. MacLean; IU Audio-Visual Center, 1957)
● Jake Austen (Roctober Productions) Chic-A-Go-Go highlights (Chicago Access Network Television, 1996-2013)
● Garden Gates (Bloomington, IN) performing live to the oceanographic films Sea Creatures (1974) and Challenge of the Oceans (1960), edited by Josephine McRobbie (Indiana University)
● Carolyn Faber (Kartemquin Films) Anonymous Artists of America (Gordon Quinn and Jerry Temaner, 1970)
● Sara Chapman (Media Burn Independent Video Archive) Cheat-U-Fair (Columbia College Visual Production Seminar: Carl German, Thomas Phillips, Bruce Real, Scott Rosenthal, Marsha Rudak, Bob Schordje, and Al Stoncius; instructor Jim Passin, 1980)
● Greg Pierce (The Orgone Archive) Sonambients: The Sound Sculpture of Harry Bertoia (Jeffrey Eger, 1971)
● Kelli Hix home movie of Hank Williams III (PSU Film and Video, 2011)